DOULAS ARE FOR EVERY BIRTH
Did you know that Doulas Support Cesarean Birth?
Every mother deserves to be emotionally & physically supported & informed of her options, regardless of what kind of birth she has.
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine issued a joint statement where hiring a doula is stated as one of the most effective ways to prevent a cesarean. (link provided below) Yet, sometimes unexpected complications can still arise or you may choose to have an elective cesarean section. A doula will still be a very active supporter and significant member to your birth team in both situations.
HOW CAN DOULAS SUPPORT CESAREAN BIRTH?
- During your prenatal meetings, your doula will help you establish your birth preferences. This should include a plan for a cesarean in case something arises. It is much better to be educated on your options when it comes to cesarean, just in case, rather than to hope it does not occur and end up unprepared for decisions that come with the cesarean surgery. Even with a C-section, there are plenty of options and decisions to explore. A doula is an incredible support member to help you navigate them and help you feel empowered after birth.
- Prior to entering the surgical room, your doula can walk you and your partner through the process of a cesarean to help ease your mind. You may also need emotional support through getting IV’s and epidural insertion.
- In the OR, your doula can take photos of the birth for you, enabling your partner to comfort and support you. Once baby is born and after you have met baby, your partner can stay with baby and your doula can stay by your side to support you through the closing process of a cesarean. The closing can take a while, having a doula to comfort you and talk to about your new baby can bring you comfort.
- After the surgery is over, you will need support from all of your birthing team. Your doula will be there to help you process your emotions and birth experience afterwards. She can also assist you in breastfeeding and help you with comfort measures to make the recovery process easier.
- A doula is not only there to support mom, but also their partner. If your partner is feeling concerned or worried about you, a doula will help alleviate their worries and empower them with knowledge and encouragement.
So, the answer is yes! Doulas Do Support Cesarean Birth! Doulas are for absolutely every birth! As a doula, I support my clients wholeheartedly through their birth experiences, regardless if their birth plan includes or excludes medical intervention. It is my passion to provide clients with unbiased information so that they may make choices they feel work best for their family.
background photo from IG: Motherhood Rising