My Top 5 Baby Shower Gift ideas
Baby showers are one of my favorite types of parties! Even before I was a doula and had children of my own, I loved spending time with family, eating delicious snacks, playing shower games, and showering the new parents with love!
You might be wondering if doulas typically attend baby showers. I have been invited to several different doula family baby showers, but it is all about what my doula family wanted! Some doulas are happy to attend your baby shower if their schedule permits. Other doulas may prefer to keep a professional distance from client families. It just depends on the particular doula.
Coming from a huge family and as a doula, I have attended A LOT of baby showers! I am pretty sure I have played the ‘Don’t Say Baby’ game at least 20 times! I was the oldest grandchild in my family, so I had the opportunity to shower my family members at baby showers and visit them in the hospital after my newest family member was born. It always felt so special to me.
I wanted to put together a list of a few things that I love gifting to my friends, family, and doula families in case you are wondering what you may need on your baby shower registry or if you are unsure what to give to a friend. Different families have different needs, so these things might not be needed for everyone and that’s okay. Just be sure to consider the family’s needs. Also, if you are purchasing for a family who already has kiddos, make sure they do not already have the items you would like to bring as a gift. With all that being said, here is my list of my top five recommended baby registry items.
My Top 5 Baby shower gift ideas
- Haakaa: if the family you are purchasing a gift for is planning to breastfeed their baby, the Haaka is a spectacular baby shower gift! There are so many things that I love about the Haaka. The Haaka is for passive and active lactation which means it’s a great tool when battling engorgement. It can also be used to express milk from the breast while baby is nursing on the other side. It is SO easy to use can fit all breast/nipple sizes. Bonus, it is very easy to bring along in a diaper bag or purse because of its petite size.
- Nose Frida: This item is a parenting game changer! As a mom of three, previous nanny, and postpartum doula I have to say that the Nose Frida is a must have! The Nose Frida is a ‘snot sucker’ and is fantastic at removing all the wet snot that congests a baby. These handy tools are far more hygienic than the old school bulb syringe. I would also consider it safer than the bulb syringe too since the Nose Frida is not used inside a baby’s nose. Babies who are congested have a difficult time nursing or taking a bottle which can mean a grumpy & hungry bub. This can be a life and sleep-saver for new parents.
- Car seat: This may be one of the priciest things a family welcoming a little one will have on their baby shower registry. It can be really helpful if a few friends or family all pitch in to purchase a nice car seat as a baby shower gift. I recommend car seats that can hold baby from 7lbs to 40lbs. Britax and Chicco both have seats like this! A local store like Green Bambino is a fantastic place to purchase a carseat too because they have knowledgeable staff who can help families find the seat that is best for them. Plus, It is so important to support local small businesses!
- Doula/midwifery services: Yes, Families can totally add their midwifery or doula service fees to their baby shower gift registry! You can also support families by covering postpartum doula services. This is perfect if you are a friend or family member who lives too far to come visit and provide support. Not sure what a Postpartum doula is? Click Here!
- Oogiebear: There are definitely two nose related products on this list but for good reason! Congested babies have a very difficult time latching or taking a bottle if their congestion isn’t relieved. The Nose-frida listed above is fantastic for removing wet snot from your baby’s nose. The Oogiebear is great for those harder boogies that are blocking your baby up. You can also use it for baby’s ears as well.
Bonus Baby Shower Gift Idea
One thing I always bring to a baby shower is a baby book! I have a few favorites that are special to me because my children loved them when they were tiny babies. Which is another reason I adore baby showers! I love getting to pass on these positive, happy memories to others.
It is becoming more popular to bring baby books in place of cards which is something I personally adore! So this may be something you are already looking for. I will leave three of my favorites for ideas!