What is a postpartum Doula?
First off, What is a Postpartum Doula and what do we do? A postpartum doula is a trained professional who assists families in their postpartum transition period.
I respect that my role as a postpartum doula is influential can influence a families beginnings. My goal is to leave families feeling confident in their abilities to be capable and confident parents to their newborn. Nothing is more important to me as a postpartum doula than empowering my postpartum families and setting them up for success.
How Does a Postpartum Doula Support Families?
- Emotional Support Those first few weeks or months after bringing a new baby home can have their ups and downs. I will be there if you need someone to discuss your postpartum journey with.
- Partner Support It is important to me to make sure that each parent feels supported. When partners feel supported, they can find it easier to ‘pour’ love and support onto their family.
- Assistance with Newborn Care Need help cutting baby’s nails? I can help you. Feeling unsure about bathing baby at home for the first time, I can provide assitance. Need someone to snuggle baby so you can get a nap or sitz bath? I’m your doula!
- Sibling Support As the oldest of ten children and a mother of three, I know that a new baby at home can be a huge transition for children. I can help ease the transition by caring for baby while you love on your older kiddos. Also, an extra person on hand to help with multiple children is always a plus!
- Household Chores I take care of light household chores like laundry, cleaning breast pump equipment, and dishes, so that my postpartum families can soak up all the newborn moments without worrying about dishes stacking up.
- Self-Care It can be incredibly challenging to practice self care when you have a newborn at home. As a Postpartum doula, I can care for baby while my clients take some time for themselves. They can get a much needed shower, enjoy a cat nap, go on a walk around the block for some fresh air and etc., while I care for baby.
- Provides Evidence Based Information It is my job to provide evidence based information so that families can make informed decisions that embrace their individual goals, needs, and beliefs on raising children. If a question is beyond my scope as a Doula, I can refer clients to a professional.
- Referrals Looking for local resources like a breastfeeding support group or a pelvic floor specialist? As a doula, I have a list of community resources to share with you!
How Often Does a Postpartum Doula visit?
As a postpartum doula, the amount of times I visit a family can vary. Some families only need a few days of support their first month with baby. Others find 2-3 visits a week work best for their needs. How often I visit depends on what a family is currently needing and their price range for care.
Additionally, Postpartum doulas can provide daytime or overnight care.
Looking for Postpartum Support?
I hope I was able to answer your question ‘What is a Postpartum Doula?’. I would be happy to answer any further questions about postpartum care if you contact me Here.
Do you feel that postpartum support from a doula is something you and your family would benefit from?
Follow the link below to book my services as a Postpartum Doula.